Friday, September 7, 2012

The Low Point



  

    Last Saturday, my travels in the Middle East hit a low point--we swam in the Dead Sea! At approximately 400 m under sea level, the Dead Sea is the lowest point on earth. We sang, "Under the Sea," and it was fun.
     I had heard that you could float with great ease and the Dead Sea, but I was still surprised when my feet left the bottom and flew up to the surface--and stayed there! It was actually quite relaxing because you could literally lay out on the water and, without any effort whatsoever, float in perfect, salty, comfort. I collected a few salt rocks from the crystallizations that lined the shore, as well.
      We also applied some of the famous Dead Sea mud liberally. This annoyed the local mud vendor, because we cheap college students collected our own "dirty" mud rather than buying his "clean" mud!
http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/303516_10152087134190858_1299147834_n.jpg?dl=1
   However, before we could do that, we had to get our cultural/historical/Biblical education, of course! We began our journey by taking the King's Highway out to Madaba. This highway is the oldest known in the world (although it has seen a few improvements in recent years--asphalt, for instance). I could just picture Moses leading the Children of Israel across the hills I saw on either side, probably staying in similar abodes to the Bedouin tents I saw (see Numbers 21-22).
   In Madaba, we saw a very famous mosaic which features a map of the entire Holy Land made by Byzantine Christians. It was a little rushed though, so I want to return.
       Mt. Nebo, where Moses looked down one the Promised Land for the last time and was then translated, was our next trip. The day was hazy because of pollution, but we could still see Amman, the Dead Sea, the Jordan River, Jericho, and even the hills on which Jerusalem sits.
      We were able to see the Jordan River in much greater detail a little later though, when we descended down  to the possible Baptism Site of Christ. Obviously, they don't know precisely where on the Jordan River this took place, partly because nobody really recorded the exact site, and partly because the Jordan River has changed its course three times in the last century alone. However, archaeologists have recently discovered the ruins of the church which the Byzantines built to commemorate the site, and we visited that.
    My professor sang us a charming rendition of "Swing Low, Sweet Chariot," and we also sang, "Jesus Came to John the Baptist." Goodness, but it was hot! We joked that anyone who visited this site would understand  the need for baptism by immersion.
    Politically, the site is interesting because the Jordan site and the Israel site are only separated by about five feet of very dirty, green river water. There were also interesting spiritual reflections, because, especially since everybody has been damming the river lately, and this is a dry season in a dry year, the site was not overly impressive. I admit I understand Naaman's objection to Elijah's order to dip 7 times in the Jordan River and be healed!
      Still, my cold finally cleared up after this trip, so perhaps my dip in holy water did me good in more ways than one. I was also impressed with the idea that the Savior, who could have chosen Iguacu or Niagra Falls, sought John the Baptist at the lowly Jordan, because priesthood authority means more than scenery.
   And now, if any of you have noticed my attire on this trip with amusement, must assure you that you are not alone! When we stopped for lunch at a Middle Eastern buffet, one of the Arab servers asked me how I liked the food, Jordan, etc. I could not understand why he kept looking at me so strangely, though, until he asked, in halting English, "So, you have tigers on?"
Yes friends, I did.
     
   

4 comments:

  1. That's awesome Lucy!! I did notice the shirt and wondered if I saw the eye of the tiger, then the next picture revealed the tiger :) Stay safe!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lucy Jane! I am sorry I haven't commented sooner on your blog posts, but they are great! You are an amazing writer and having amazing adventures! Let me know if you need any help on the music resources. I am sure I can find a different accompaniment to "How Great Thou Art" and maybe email it to you. Do you have a printer, or access to one? I could even make a video on how to conduct a beginning choir, one less experienced student to another.
    What do you need vanilla for anyway? Cookies?
    I love the tiger shirt and story!
    And of course, you are always an inspiration! Recording your journey so faithfully and reminding me that even though I am not "on the far side of the world" I still have adventures and an amazing life to record.
    I also want to know which classes you are taking and how they are going so far... Give me "A Day in the Life..." with pics please!! :) Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments. I am working on the conducting--I'm having to go through the hymns in Arabic script, line by line, to find where the downbeats should go in Arabic. It's an adventure!
    And your life is an adventure as well, Janey Morgan, and I would like to hear about it. I will work on a "daily schedule"--actually my hw tonight is to prepare a brief description of that in Arabic to do for my teacher tomorrow, so that might work out.
    An accompaniment might be good, although the pianist would probably need to practice it and she doesn't have access to a piano except at church. I'll let you know, but thanks for the offer! (People don't really care about music here--which is so weird!)
    And yes, the vanilla is for chocolate chip cookies. I finally found all the ingredients and will make them soon, but they're kind of a luxury here.
    Love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Morgan, who is visiting, would like to say:

      I made him read your blog... :) Love you too! And I am jealous of all the cookie -making going on. Three separate people I know made cookies today and I didn't get any of them. *sigh. And that is weird about the music. I can't wait to hear more about your fun adventures!

      Delete