Monday, December 17, 2012

Today in Jerusalem

   I have been feeling guilty for weeks now about not posting anything, and this will be a sad and boring post because technological constraints prevent my adding any photos, but I hope you'll forgive me---I feel like doing this at all is quite brave because my blogging dashboard here translated itself into Hebrew and it took four tries to even figure out how to add a new post!
  So, Item 1, I have spent the last week and a half in the great (but small---I am still trying to get used to distances, or the lack thereof, in the Middle East) state of Israel. I spent my last week in dear Jordan in a flurry of packing, taking finals, saying sad goodbyes, and last-minute choir rehearsals. And then, in an arduous (in my opinion) but unusually simple (my professor's) process, we headed west.
   In Israel, I have done the following:
  • Gone wading in the Mediterranean Sea, overlooked by Roman aqueduct ruins
  • Chatted with some Israeli/Americans about the Israeli/Palestinian conflict while in the ruins of the magical ancient city of Ceserea
  • Seen the walls of Jericho
  • Been to Armeggedon (it's gorgeous, actually--a lovely green hilly country)
  • Ascended the steps of the ruins of a real fake temple in Dan (the one King Jeroboam built so that his new Israelite nation could properly worship a--surprise! Golden calf)
  • Taken a bath (I felt really guilty for using that much water in the West Bank, but we hadn't seen a bathtub in months!)
  • Slept in a convent in Nazereth
  • Met a charming nun in Nazereth. She gave us a tour of the ruined Crusader castle/Byzantine church/1st century house underneath her convent. She kept telling us not to touch anything.
  • Spent two hours chatting with some Israeli Arab Christians at the big fashion mall at Nazereth
  • Hiked around the headwaters of the Jordan River
  • Swam in the Sea of Galilee ("I swam today where Jesus walked. So I guess I've got a long ways to go!")
  • Driven through an Israeli West Bank checkpoint
  • Contemplated mass suicide at Masada
  • Got stuck in traffic in the new old city of Tel Aviv
  • Eaten some of the best food any Arab could imagine
  • And much, much more---pictures and explanatory stories to follow, in she' Allah
   However, since last Thursday, we've been in Jerusalem!!
    The Jerusalem Center is basically like a cross between a Middle Eastern palace, BYU, and Hogwarts, so far as I am concerned. My friend and I even found a Room of Requirement the other day. Our adventures in Jerusalem have included:
  • Dancing with some very kind Jews at the Western Wall after sundown on Shabbat
  • Getting yelled at by some less kind Israelis for consenting to listen to some left-wing political views
  • Eating the best falafel sandwich I have ever eaten in the Old City, near the Damascus Gate
  • Playing the best organ in the Middle East, thank you Dr. Harris!

No comments:

Post a Comment