Wednesday, July 9, 2014

The Io Jima Memorial at Rosslyn, VA

This last week, I decided that I needed to explore Rosslyn, where I work, a bit more. Rosslyn is the part of Arlington, VA just across the Potomac River, but because it consists almost totally of office space and seasonal food trucks, its delights are largely unknown to the world. Now that I know them, however, I am sharing them with you. Enjoy!
 The above photo is the guard at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier in Arlington Cemetery.
 This photo shows the beautiful Marines Memorial.
This is a view of Arlington Cemetery from the outside. It gives you a sense of how the beautiful rolling hills are covered with white tombstones.
 I found a hobbit hole!
 This carillon bell tower and the sphinxes were a gift from the Dutch people to say thank you for liberating them during World War Two. The sphinxes were a nice place to sit and look across the Potomac River at the Washington Monument and the Capitol while listening to the hourly carillon concert.
This is a rooftop garden that celebrates the end of the Cold War and the Berlin Wall coming down. The office where I work is in the second from the front.
And in case you've made it this far down, feel free to check out my most controversial post yet at work.

1 comment:

  1. I like your Dutch tribute to your Schouten/Ekker Heritage.

    ReplyDelete