Friday, May 30, 2014

A Memorial Day to Remember

Washington, D.C., was a wonderful place to spend Memorial Day, as we could visit all the sites that honor the nation's fallen, as well as the museums that describe their service.


First and foremost, we visited Mr. Lincoln. I still have not made it to the White House, yet I feel that, having taken a moment with America's 16th president, I have truly "been to Washington." (This is not from lack of trying, by the way! I keep heading in the direction of the White House and getting distracted by puzzling statues of angry Frenchmen and nude Greeks. Today I actually thought I had reached it from the back, but it turned out to be the equally imposing Department of the Treasury.)
My roommate stands beside the Korean War Memorial.
Next, we visited all of the war memorials near the National Mall, which was quite sobering. I was impressed at each memorial's ability to convey simultaneously the sheer magnitude of what this country did and the sacrifice of individuals. Then again, perhaps I was thinking about the veterans I know personally. I was blessed to grow up in an area where I could be personally acquainted with so many who have served in the armed forces and hear their experiences.
FDR and me-I think I look rather good as First Lady.
 We also visited the memorials to Franklin D. Roosevelt (which is a huge memorial - you actually walk through it and see quotes and statues from each of his three terms as you walk), Martin Luther King Jr., and Thomas Jefferson. Each one was truly a work of art.
I was especially impressed with the shrine to Jefferson - his defense of public education, religious liberty and God-given natural rights was engraved on the wall. I learned about how much he valued education, calling truth a "light" that enables citizens to make clearer judgments. I reflected that this is how we view truth in a gospel context, that pursuit of learning is valuable for its own sake because, by its light, we "see" ourselves and the world more clearly.

*My roommate shares a birthday with Thomas Jefferson.



We*dropped by the American Indian Smithsonian Museum for lunch because I had been assured by multiple people that they had the best food on the National Mall. All I have to say to that is, they're setting the bar a little low! I suppose these Easterners have never had real Indian Fry Bread or authentic enchiladas, poor dears. Also, I must confide that if you want to learn about Indians, the exhibits you will find out West are far superior.
The Smithsonian Air and Space Museum, on the other hand, is everything it promises to be. This turned out to be another excellent choice for Memorial Day, as we saw and explored the planes and ships that American forces have used in the last century's wars.
 Feeling a little down after all this conflict; however, we turned our gazes heavenward to the skies...(and explored the space shuttles and other space equipment)...

And then went home and made chocolate chip cookies for dinner.

2 comments: