Sunday, May 11, 2014

Lucy Goes to Washington

I will write this post quickly, as I must be on my way and ready for adventure tomorrow morning, but I wanted to share that back---by request---is Lucy's travel blog of adventure in strange lands. In this case, the strange lands in question are Washington, DC and Virginia. So far as my observation is concerned, they are sufficiently different from my usual haunts in Utah and Arizona as to warrant special attention.
First, I want to show you the charming townhouse in Alexandria, Virginia, where I will be living. I so enjoy this colonial-style architecture.
The house even features that most blessed of architectural ideals--a window seat!



This is the view from my window, as I live on the top floor. I have a ridiculously large room, with a walk-in closet that I don't know what to do with. I am going to become quite spoiled, but I'll just enjoy it while I have it.


This afternoon I took a walk in search of the grocery store. I didn't find it, but what I did find is far more romantic: a rundown cemetery in the middle of a residential area! What I could read of the gravestones showed most were from the 1800s, but one memorialized a Revolutionary War soldier. What a treasure! I shall have to keep it in mind for a service project; however, as it was in a sad state of disrepair.
Finally, I just want to say--thank goodness for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. It is so wonderful that when one leaves one's known world behind, for a strange city without a friend or family, somewhere there is a church building to go to, a Relief Society president to arrange a ride to said church building, and a ward clerk to transfer your records into said strange city, not to mention a whole group of people who suddenly become interested in your welfare.

Note: If you would rather not receive this blog post to your email, please contact me, and I will happily take you off so I don't fill your inbox with unwanted text:)

1 comment:

  1. LOVE IT! So glad you have a walk-in closet and a graveyard close by! :) Enjoy & good luck!

    ReplyDelete