Thursday, May 29, 2014

A Sunday at Arlington National Cemetery

First off, thank you to all who have served and are serving this country in the armed forces in any capacity! I know it is no longer Memorial Day, but, like Mother's Day or Christmas, gratitude for one's freedom is something that can and should be expressed whenever possible.
I spent my Memorial Day weekend doing what seemed most natural for the holiday: on Sunday, I visited Arlington National Cemetery with a friend.



A particular highlight for me was going into General Robert E. Lee's house. Hearing the story of his integrity and belief in his cause - however wrong history has proved it - was inspiring, and I think most people now recognize this and honor his courage. It reminded me of a quote by Winston Churchill:
This was the actual bed in the bedroom belonging to the Lees.
"You will make all kinds of mistakes, but so long as you are true - and also fierce - you cannot hurt the world or even seriously distress her."
We also went to the Confederate Soldier's Memorial. I have a number of relatives who fought for their cause, and my roommate is a staunch Virginia woman, so we were interested to see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment