Friday, May 16, 2014

Arnold the turkey

I've often heard that if you dress correctly and look confident enough, you can go anywhere. Well friends, on Monday morning I looked stunning in my professional attire with new shoes to match, but when I began walking toward the entrance to the Pentagon, a security guard called me back.
"Where do you think you're goin', sweetheart?" he asked, not unkindly.
"To the metro station?" I said.
"Way-ell, you just turn yourself around right there and take a left,"  he said.

This week I began both my instruction with the National Journalism Center (without whose generous help this program could continue) and my summer internship with The American Spectator. Their mascot is seen below:


 I still reserve the right to miss my feline friends, but I was pleased to see that even in the big city I can enjoy a little wildlife. This bird was chosen for The American Spectator (a political commentary magazine with web presence) was chosen in honor of Benjamin Franklin's original suggestion for a national mascot.
Speaking of Dr. Franklin, I discovered on Monday that the program headquarters are just blocks away from the national post office. I had a little time to spare before FHE (an interfaith panel where three Jews from the area discussed their faith with us--fascinating!), and so I said hello.
On my way, I passed a rehearsal for a memorial service. I stopped--along with many others--and listened to a rendition of "Amazing Grace" among other numbers on a nice grouping of bagpipes, percussion and brass.
On Wednesday, our internship group (about 35 college students, mostly from east of the Mississippi) met at the Capitol building, and we took a tour of the House of Representatives Press Gallery. Next, we scattered to visit our district's representative. My representative's staff (he was in Arizona--the irony!) was very kind and offered me a tour of the office and all the business cards I could carry.

The American Spectator put me to work at once, and they have already published posts 1 and 2. I will be learning a very different writing style this summer.
Thus far, my only real reservation about this organization is that they have never named the turkey! I asked the office manager if we could remedy the situation (It was the afternoon of my second day, probably high time they knew their intern does things such as name stuffed turkeys!), and he said I could.
I am accepting suggestions, but how does everyone like Arnold?

4 comments:

  1. My turkey name suggestion is Thomas the Turkey :) Emma's is either Taylor or Tristan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are great suggestions! I will be sure to present them at work! Also, I feel like I need to explain myself a little---I was not actually intending to enter the Pentagon. I was just lost!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Arnold? As in Benedict Arnold? Isn't that a strong name to use out that way??? :)

    Glad to hear you are doing so well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha I didn't even think about Arnold that way! You're right--perhaps I should reconsider:)

      Delete